Frequently Asked Questions
The Group Leader Courses are for actual group leaders / PI's or senior postdocs who already have secured a PI position. The purpose of these courses is also exchange with the other participants and therefore it is better if the whole group is more homogenous in terms of career stage. If you are a post doctoral researcher then the post-doc courses are recommended, these courses do prepare you for a leadership role as well and they are open to all post-docs, whether EMBO Long-Term Fellows or not. The only restriction is that you need to be a post-doc for at least 6 months at the time of the course.
Fee waiver for EMBO Young Investigators & Installation Grantees for group leader courses
EMBO Young Investigators and EMBO Installation Grantees may be entitled to a fee waiver. Please select the appropriate option on the online registration form; the waiver will then be confirmed when you receive notification of acceptance.
Please note that only the course fee (including accommodation) is covered. No funding for travel is available.
The cancellation policy applies, failure to inform us punctually will mean that you lose your entitlement to the fee waiver and should you re-apply in the future, the full registration fee will apply.
Fee waiver for EMBO Long Term Fellows for post-doc courses
The post-doc courses are free of charge for a limited number of EMBO Long-Term Fellows, both previous and current, who were awarded their fellowship after 1 January 2012 and have been Fellows for at least six months. We operate a strict first come, first served policy. The general prerequisites for the waiver are:
- This is subject to a minimum fellowship duration of six months.
- Please select the "EMBO Long-Term Fellow" option in the online registration form include your ALTF number: it will be confirmed when you receive notification of acceptance.
- Only the course fee (including accommodation) is covered. No funding for travel is available.
- Places open to EMBO Long-Term Fellows are restricted by budget and it works on a first come, first served basis.
- EMBO Long-Term Fellows are NOT entitled to a fee waiver for group leader courses.
- The cancellation policy also applies, failure to inform us punctually will mean that you lose your entitlement to the fee waiver and should you re-apply in the future, the full registration fee will apply.
Please also note that there will be two courses held around the EMBO Fellows' Meeting 2017 in June. Priority will be given to EMBO Fellows (awarded in 2014) who will attend the Fellows' Meeting. Dates will be released once the meeting is announced. Sufficient waivers will be available.
If you are an EMBO Advanced Fellow, you are entitled to attend a Laboratory Management Course for Post-Docs free of charge at the end of your fellowship. In case an independent position has been obtained you can attend a Group Leaders Course if you have not yet attended a post-doc course. Please note: The laboratory management course must be taken within five years of being awarded the fellowship (i.e. by 2020).
Participants who live locally to Heidelberg can register without bed and breakfast. Please select "no accommodation required" when registering. The course fee is then reduced to include just lunch and dinner for the duration of the course, training, VAT and all course material. For group leaders, the fee without hotel accommodation is €2,315.00 and for postdocs it is €1,700.00.
Start / End Times
The course starts at 12:00 on the first day with lunch and ends at 16:00 on the last day.
Hotel & Course Venue
Hotel Villa Toskana
Hamburger Strasse 4-8
D - 69181 Leimen, Germany
Phone: 0049 (0) 6224 8292 0
If you requested hotel accommodation at time of registration, we will automatically book you a single room for the duration of the course, arriving on the first day and departing on the last day. These nights are included in the course fee. In case you need to arrive earlier / stay longer, please contact the hotel directly, and pay for any extra night(s) at the hotel reception.
Course from 17th - 20th May: accommodation is included for the three nights of 17th, 18th and 19th May, with departure from the hotel on 20th May.
NOTE: the organisers send the hotel the names list about 2 weeks prior to the course.
Cost of a single room: approximately 100 Euro (including breakfast).
The courses for postdocs and group leaders are popular. Once courses are full, there will be waiting lists available but there is no guarantee a place will become free.You can only select one course waiting list. Multiple registrations for the same person are not accepted.
- For cancellations received 60 calendar days before the beginning of the course, fees will be refunded minus €25 for administrative costs.
- After this 60 day rule, no refund is possible for last minute cancellation or no-show; however a replacement can be found from the same laboratory/institute subject to approval.
- Each course needs a minimum number of participants. If a particular course has insufficient registrations, it will be cancelled. Registered participants would then be offered an alternative course or to have the fee reimbursed. You would be informed at least 8 weeks in advance of the course start date.
The course language is English.
The courses take place in Southern Germany (Baden-Württemberg). Here are the public holidays in 2017 that may affect travel arrangements for your selected course:
- Heilige 3 Könige: Friday 06.01.2017
- Good Friday: 14.04.2017
- Easter Monday: 17.04.2017
- Labour Day: Monday 01.05.2017
- Ascension Day: Thursday 25.05.2017
- Whit Monday: 05.06.2017
- Corpus Christi: Thursday 15.06.2017
- German Reunification Day: Tuesday 03.10.2017
- All Saints' Day: Wednesday 01.11.2017